The Right Honourable
The Honourable Senator
Advisors during Phase One:
Scotia Giller Prize
Humber College School for Writers
Harbourfront International Authors Festival
Charles Taylor Prize for Non Fiction
January 15, 2017 deadline for March 2018 awarding.
- The Kobzar Literary Award, valued at $25,000, is awarded every second year. The author of the winning submission will be awarded $20,000 and the publisher of the work will be awarded $5,000.
- The Kobzar Literary Award is sponsored by the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko, a National, chartered philanthropic institution
- Authors must be either Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- Eligible genres: literary non-fiction, fiction, young people’s literature, poetry, play/screenplays/musicals
- Ukrainian Canadian theme evident primarily
- No self published books shall be eligible.
- Works may be submitted by writers, publishers or literary agents.
- Each nomination must be submitted with the author’s consent.
- All books must have an ISBN, and be distributed in book form in Canada.
- Reprints will not be considered.
- Titles may be submitted only once.
- There is no limit to the number of titles that may be submitted by a nominator, provided that the work entered meets all other eligibility requirements.
- A completed and signed entry form
Download the entry form here (PDF).
- Author’s curriculum vitae
- Note: An author consent letter is not required if it is the publisher who is filling out the entry form.
- Six (6) copies of the publication must be submitted to :
Kobzar Literary Award
Ukrainian Canadian Foundation
of Taras Shevchenko
c/o 96 Yorkleigh Avenue
Toronto, ON M9P 1Y7
- Submissions will be judged by a maximum four person jury in a peer review process.
Conditions of the Prize
- The composition of the jury will be announced four (4) months prior to announcing a winner.
- A shortlist will be published two (2) months prior to announcing a winner.
All inquires should be directed to:
- All entry material, including book copies, will become the property of the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko
- Nominated and/or winning author(s) to participate in all reasonable publicity associated with The Kobzar Literary Award, including interviews, readings and appearances.
- Publishers to include the Kobzar Award decal on all copies of the shortlisted and/or winning book(s) on all subsequent reprints. These decals or their template will be provided by the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko.
Dr. Christine Turkewych, Director
Literary Arts – Kobzar Award Program
202 - 952 Main Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 3P4
Phone: (204) 944-9128
Toll Free: (866) 524-5314
|| Key Dates
January 15, 2017
Deadline for submissions for awarding in March 2018
Kobzar $25,000 Literary Award is awarded biennially to Canadian authors whose narratives develop a Ukrainian Canadian theme with literary merit. Shortlisted authors receive $1,500.
Submission deadline January 15, 2017 for award announced in March 2018.
Works may be submitted by authors, literary agents and publishers.
For submission terms,